Friday 1 August 2014

#BookADayUK #1 - Most arresting opening line

I want to try and avoid the obvious with these posts, so while Rebecca is one of my perennial favourites it's not going to be today's pick. Instead, I hit my bookshelf and pulled out the books I love at random to check their first lines with surprising results: very few have an arresting opener. There are plenty which have an excellent first paragraph, but opening lines, not so much.

My choice, for a book whose first lines makes you stop and want to know more: Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane. Although I'm not much of an Urban Fantasy reader, I picked it up because it was 99p and because I vaguely know Stacia through AbsoluteWrite. It turned out to be a proper one-more-chapter read which demanded I create an elastic lunch hour.

Had the man in front of her not already been dead, Chess probably would have tried to kill him.

No comments:

Post a Comment