Tuesday, 26 August 2014

I'm glad you're happy




"Curiously, after a couple of my books hit the Top 100 Paid, I had unsolicited offers of representation from a couple of agents. I turned both down gently ... after ignoring their initial emails for a week. A bit cruel, I know, but in my defense, I was very busy and only took 3-4 days to ignore their follow-up emails."

"It is an amazing feeling to reply to a agent rejection with "Thanks anyways but the book is already published and selling at a steady pace." "

"Seriously, the boorishness of those arrogant @#!@@ never ceases to amaze me."
 

I'm glad you're happy. Really, I am. Self-publishing is bloody hard work and anybody who makes a success of it deserves it - even those who cynically exploit their pen names and book titles to game the Amazon search algorithm. Believe me: they have earned it and should credit their achievements.

However, I see this kind of attitude in lots of places but I rarely see it being called out. So, that's what this is.

If you want to be a publisher, if you want to play with the big boys and girls, then you need to start behaving like a professional. Being a professional means - among other things - that you do your job.

Before you post something like these sterling examples from authors whom I'm not going to read, review, or have anything to do with, consider how it would sound to somebody who doesn't know what KDP stands for. If you sound like an embittered hack who chose self-publishing as a last resort and now intend to make teh evulz trade publishers know what idiots they were for turning you down in the first place, you don't sound like the kind of author I want to read.

I don't care how many copies you've sold, or how many 5 star reviews you've got (and the person I've blanked out in that tweet doesn't walk the walk so much as run the marathon), you don't sound like somebody who's written a great book. You may have done, but I've made the active decision not to find out.

And hey, you know what? I'm nobody. Or possibly Ian McEwan in an extremely good disguise. I'm no kind of loss to your career.

I'm just the person who thought this and said it - but neither of us knows how many others there are who haven't.

I'm glad you're happy, but I'm gladder to spend my time and money on those who treat business as business rather than attempting to take a shot at somebody who likely didn't realise that's what it was. Instead of trying to make out somebody was wrong to make a particular business decision, or that you've got one over on them, why don't you recognise your success is due to your own hard work?

And yes, it does work in the other direction too.

No comments:

Post a Comment